Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Meyer Lemons Two Ways

After using the limequats for the marmalade from the last post, I was anxious to see what I could do with the Meyer Lemons from my brothers Garden of Eden.

My husband has been hankering for some risotto and I have been resisting - all the stirring - Bleeek!  Then a perfect storm of snow days and an abundance of meyer lemon made his wish come true!  



A few simple ingredients:

Meyer Lemon Juice and zest
Arborio rice
Onion
White Wine
Parmesan cheese 
Pine nuts and Mint for garnish




Meyer Lemon Risotto






A lot of stirring...and WhaaLaa!


Creamy, starchy, citrusy wonderousness!

Serve with a green veggie and maybe a simple protein like shrimp or chicken and dinner is served.  


I followed the recipe exactly, so I won't write it all out here.  Here is the link on Simply Recipes.  It really was worth all the stirring!






Recipe #2:  Roasted Cornish Game Hens With Meyer Lemons 
from:  LA Times



  • 2 Corninsh Hens
  • 4 Meyer Lemons
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 3 medium fennel bulbs (I only had one)
  • 3/4 cups each Nicoise  and Picholine olives  (I had kalamata on hand so I used those)
  • 8 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
1.  About an hour ahead, remove the Cornish game hens from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature.






2.  Heat the oven to 425 degrees.  Slice 2 of the lemons paper thin with a knife or a mandolin.  With your fingers, carefully loosen the skin from the meat on the breast side of the hens.  















Insert 5 or 6 lemon slices underneath the skin of each hen.  Put any unused slices and the ends of the lemons into the cavities, and rub the salt equally over the 2 hens.

3.  Cut the remaining 2 lemons into 8 wedges and scatter them in the bottom of a shallow baking pan with the fennel, olives, and garlic.   Place the hens on top of the fruit and vegetables.  Pour olive oil over the 2 birds, then season with a few grinds of black pepper.


4.  Roast the hens in the oven for 30 minutes, then lower the heat to 350 degrees and roast for about 20 minutes longer, or until the meat is firm, the skin is golden and the juices run clear (a thermometer placed into the thickest part of the bird will register 165 degrees);  the vegetables and fruit will have started to caramelize. 






Although the cook time is about 50 minutes, it only takes about 20 minutes to prep the birds for the oven so the hands on time for this dish is manageable for a week night.







I prepped these before my workout and then threw them in the oven to bake while I worked out.   

I don't recommend this, because the amazing smells coming from the kitchen made it very hard to concentrate on staying on the treadmill!  ;-)






So a two-fer of Meyer lemon recipes....I still have a few left...Hmmm...Lemonade anyone?




No comments:

Post a Comment