My poor neglected and almost finished garden came to the rescue!
|Japanese Eggplant from my garden|
I have had a bumper crop of japanese eggplant this year and had four large ones to use. So I decided to make up a batch of Veggie Stew with Couscous.
|This is me getting fancy with my new Hipstamatic app. :-)|
The Veggie Stew is a recipe that I ripped out of an old Family Circle Magazine (September 1993). I have 3 big binders full of extremely disorganized magazine clippings that I'm going to organize "some day."
|I think maybe color photos are better for food? Yes?|
Here is the finished product. It will end up in my lunch tomorrow on a bed of couscous with a light sprinkle of crumbled feta cheese.
|Veggie Stew with Couscous|
Nice change from a cold sandwich!
Veggie Stew with Couscous
- 1 large eggplant or about 4 medium japanese eggplants , cut in1/2-inch chunks (about 7 cups
- 2 zucchini quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch chunks (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) seasoned diced tomatoes (I used fire-roasted this time to change it up but I usually use Italian seasoned)
- 6 scallions or about 1 cup of onion finely diced
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp each dried thyme and salt. (I used one large bunch of fresh thyme from my garden - just threw it in stems and all)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup instant couscous, prepared according to package directions
1. Heat 1 Tbsp canola oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant and cook 4 minutes, stirring often, until lightly browned. Remove from pan.
2. Add another Tbsp oil and zucchini and onion. Cook 3 minutes, stirring once or twice.
3. Add the tomatoes, vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper. Simmer on low for 20 minutes until vegetables are soft and flavors are combined.
4. To serve: Put couscous on the bottom of a plate or bowl. Spoon veggie stew over the couscous and top with feta cheese.
This stew gets better as it sits in the fridge so I try to make it ahead. It is perfect for a yummy school lunch! Now I can't wait for lunch tomorrow!