|Me sporting my new Butterick 5493 knit shell|
The top is only three pieces and I tweaked the fit on Donna the Dressform yesterday so all seemed to be fine. I decided yesterday to be a rule-breaker - Soo not me! - and cut the pattern on the cross grain because there is a bit of a directional pattern to this print and I wanted it running up and down not around and around my curvy figure.
The fabric was equally stretchy in either direction so I didn't have any problems.
The pattern directions were basically good - I mean there were only 3 pieces! There was one place where they referred to a large dot and there was no large dot on the pattern, but it was easy to figure out where you needed to stop stitching.
|See how the arm holes don't gap at all! Finally!|
All went well until I got to binding the armholes. They were gapping on the sides, so I took the sides in about a half an inch right at the arm hole and solved that problem. When I put on the binding, however, the fabric was so stretchy that I ended up with a baggie mess! So after several attempts (including sewing to the wrong side of the fabric - TWICE!), I was able to ease the fabric to the binding and ended up with a nice, not gap-y, no bra-showing armhole. Happy!
I think that I will make this top again with one of the other neckline options, but I will make it a bit longer and will raise the neckline some. It might be a little too showy for my 9th grade Bio students! :-)
|I think I'll try view C next.|
|Perfect for layering!|
I hope that the weather is as beautiful where you are as it is here!