Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Baby Gift-Palooza

I finally managed to sneak in a little sewing time this weekend and it was a Baby-gift-palooza day!  Baby gifts...Perfect for Mother's Day weekend, right?

I have a friend who is on bed rest expecting a sweet baby girl any time now so it was definitely time to sew up some girlie-girl baby stuff.

First up was this super easy baby girl bib!
Don't cha just love the chunky rick-rack!
I got it in a grab bag at an upholstery store.
I found this pattern on pinterest and followed it to this blog - Lots of Pink.  She has a really good tutorial and a free pdf pattern.  
The pattern needed a bit of straightening where the 2 pieces
come together.  Probably because of differences in printers.  No biggie!
I didn't follow her directions exactly at all, but that is just because I didn't really need them.  If you are new to sewing, her directions are very good.  

After reading her directions, I found I did a few things differently.  

  • I used a heavy weight fabric for the top piece so I didn't use any interfacing as she suggested.  
  • I cut the 2 blocks out first and then sewed them together because I was trying to squeeze them out of some scraps.
  • I did use lots of pins when I was sewing the two sides together - as she suggests.  Minky can have a mind of its own and tends to move around as you sew so taking charge and pinning are a must.


I just realized that I didn't take any pictures of the back which is the softest minky fabric in baby pink.  Got my girlie fix with this one for sure!
The best part?  It took about 20 minutes start to finish!
Part 2 of the baby-palooza was another baby towel.  I'm working on a mini-tutorial for my next post.  For now...Here is a sneak peak:
Embroidery for the baby girl towel
Hoping everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day Weekend and got to do a little something that makes your heart sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment