Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Dede/Nana's Perfect Apple Pie

We couldn't have a Memorial Day picnic without apple pie and ice cream!   It was time to pull out my "Perfect Apple Pie" recipe.  This recipe came to me from my mother (Nana) and her mother (Dede) before her and it really is perfect!
Perfect Apple Pie
This pie is easy, peasy to make and gets raves every time.  I usually make my own pie crust using the Cuisinart pastry recipe, but this time I decided that I had to have apple pie at the last minute and I didn't have any homemade pastry in the freezer.  I used a Pillsbury rolled up pie crust and no one (except me!) could tell the difference. 

I have tweaked this recipe a bit over time, but basically stay faithful to the original.  I like a big, tall, stuffed apple pie so I always add lots of apples and this time I also added dried cranberries.  You just really can't go wrong with this recipe - I promise!
Perfect Apple (Cranberry) Pie just waiting for my favorite -
Breyers Natural Vanilla Ice Cream
Perfect Apple Pie
  • 6 or 7 apples (I used 8: 4 gala and 4 granny smith)
  • 3/4 cup sugar (I use slightly less depending how sweet the apples are)
  • 2 (generous) Tbsp all purpose flour 
  • 1 (generous) tsp cinnamon - I love cinnamon so I use plenty
  • dash of nutmeg
  • dash of salt
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Peel and slice the apples.  (I use my peeler-corer-slicer  Here is one like it.) and place the slices in water with lemon juice.

2.  Drain the apples slices and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel.  

3.  Roll crust out and place on the bottom of a pie plate.  

4.  Mix apple slices with spices and pour into bottom crust. Dot the apple slices with 1 Tbsp of butter.   

5.  Add the top crust and fold the edges under the bottom crust and press or crimp together.  

6.  Cut a slit into the top of the crust to let the steam out as it bakes
(At this point you can wrap and freeze the pie to use later if you like.)

7.  Brush the top of the pie crust with a mixture of egg white and water and sprinkle with sugar.  (I used turbinato sugar for a little sugary crunch.)

Bake:

  • If fresh, bake for 50 minute at 400 degrees or until crust is lightly browned and apples are soft.
  • If frozen, bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and brush with egg white wash and dust with sugar.  Return to oven and bake another 55 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and apples are soft.






No comments:

Post a Comment