I'm loving the recipes in this magazine! Clean Eating totally espouses the way that I have been working toward eating the last 3 years - lean meats, low fat dairy, whole grains and lots of fruits and veggies. And each issue has a two week calorie- controlled eating plan. DH and I did 4 weeks worth of the plan and lost a pound or two during each of the 2-week periods.
I found this chili-cornbread casserole in the Nov/Dec issue and have made it twice now. It is easy and delicious!
|Corn Bread-Topped Beef and Black Bean Chili|
It was also delicious as leftovers in our lunches the next day.
The best thing, though...One pot clean up! Score!
Corn Bread-Topped Beef and Black Bean Chili
Black Bean Chili
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium tomato paste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chile powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups jarred or boxed iced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup whole grain cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1/4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
2. Add tomato paste, chile powder, cumin and oregano. Cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, broth, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare corn bread; In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt. In a small bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk and oil; pour over flour mixture and add cilantro. Stir just until combined; spoon 8 dollops evenly over top chili, using up all of mixture. (This is a little like pouring in very wet dumplings, but don't worry...all will end well in the oven!)
4. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, until corn bread is golden and cooked through. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Switch oven to broil setting on high and broil, watching closely, until cheese is bubbling, 1 minute. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.