During this particularly long wait I found a Weight Watchers specialty publication titled "Five-Star Top-Rated Recipes". It says that it will be on news stands until 8/16/13 so you can probably still find it. (I get no reimbursement other than happy family for promoting this or any other product!) I found a number of quick, low-point and yummy-looking meals so I planned the whole week of recipes around my new impulse buy! :-)
First up this week: Mexican Chicken Stew
|Just 5 points for a 1 cup serving!|
The cool, crunchy salad was the perfect compliment to warm, spicy soup.
Total prep time: An incredible 20 minutes flat from start to table!
A definite weeknight win!
Mexican Chicken Stew
Recipe from: Weight Watchers Five-Star Top-Rated Recipes
- 2 ounces Mexican (I used Salvadoran) chorizo
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- 2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 frozen whole-kernel corn (I used some leftover fresh corn mixed with the frozen)
- 1 Tbsp chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce.
- Tip: Since I never use up a whole can of these, I freeze the leftovers in a ziploc bag laid flat and then just cut off the amount I need for a recipe and throw it into the pot frozen.
- 1 14/5 oz can stewed tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped.
- Tip: Just stick your clean kitchen sheers right in the can and chop them up right in the can - way less mess!
- Lime wedges
- Low fat sour cream or fat free greek yogurt for topping
1. Remove casings from chorizo. Cook chorizo in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove sausage from pan with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towel, reserving 1 tsp of drippings in pan. (My chorizo was very lean and I barely had 1 tsp of drippings!) Add the onion and garlic to drippings in pan;sauté 3 minutes or just until tender.
2. Add chorizo, chicken, and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Serve with lime wedges and sour cream/yogurt.
6-1 cup servings. 5 WW points