Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Sheer Summer Sweater

You know those times when it is as hot as the surface of the sun and you want to wear as little as possible. We have had a lot of those days lately.  I needed a little something to throw over a tank top that was not going to send my internal thermometer over the top, but would leave me a bit more covered up when appropriate at...say...church.
Just a little something to cover up a bit
I was ordering some fabric from fabric.com for a stretch lace dress that is currently in the muslin-ing stage and I saw this burnout white knit - perfect for the little bit of cover I was looking for.  




I grabbed this pattern (Vogue 1243) at Joanne's and decided to make version B.  When I got it home and read the directions (imagine reading directions! Ha!), I realized that the pattern is lined and had a dire warning:  Not suitable for knits!!!


Never being one for directions, I forged ahead - completely ignoring the directions and just using the pattern shape.  It was fine!











The solid selvage of the fabric became part of the front band.  I reversed the order of sewing for the center back of the neck band, sewing it so the 3-thread serger seam was on the inside.  I then stitched it down with a small zig-zag so it sort of looks like a flat felled seam.


I used a regular serged stitch for the shoulder and side seams and then finished the arm holes and hem with a tiny turned hem and a zig-zag which gave it a sort of scalloped effect.  
You can see the pretty burnout patter in this picture.  











I love this fabric! It is light as air which means it had some of the sewing challenges you would expect with such a light fabric.  It had a tendency to roll and was so light it was actually hard to hold onto as I was sewing.  Even with the challenges, the sweater was completed in just over an hour from cutting to done.  Don't you just love those kinds of projects! And...I have some fabric left for another little somethin, somethin. 












Next up...A silvery stretch knit dress lined with a stretchy turquoise.





I ordered a couple of fitting classes that were on sale at Craftsy (Thank you Sarah Gunn at Goodbye Valentino for posting about these classes!)  I have the muslin cut from some knit I've had in my stash forever and am working through the fit.  I'm not sure if I need to do a Full bust adjustment yet, but the class did help me to be more confident in choosing a pattern size with my crazy measurements and use the multi-sized pattern to my advantage.

I'll post some in-progress pictures if they are fit to be seen!  Wish me luck!



















No comments:

Post a Comment