Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

And...We have a Shower Curtain!

After much procrastinating...It is finally done!  The new shower curtain for the remodeled bathroom.  
New Shower Curtain for the updated bathroom

I've had the fabric since July when we finished stage one of the redo, but have procrastinated and pushed other projects in front of this one.  Why?
  1. I am not a huge fan of home-dec sewing - too much fabric dragging around and all straight lines
  2. There was some pattern matching to do here...
  3. I guessed on yardage when I bought this fabric and so I was a bit worried that I wouldn't have enough...I don't recommend this method for buying fabric!
  4. There were soooo many more interesting projects to do!
So addressing these procrastinations one-by-one...
  1. Once I get into a home-dec project I don't hate it so much.  I mean it is all straight line, on-grain sewing with - usually - a cotton blend so everything lines up and presses perfectly with little effort.  And man...when you are done and hang that puppy up...Instant gratification!
  2. I thunk and thunk and thunk about the best way to get a perfect pattern match I came up with about half the idea and then found the rest of it on Sew4Home.  More on that below...
  3. Let's pretend that I actually calculated yardage cuz I had just the right amount to get the right width, match patterns and had a nice chunk left from the middle to make another project.  :-)
Here is a quick run-down of how I got that pattern to match perfectly at the seam:

  • Cut your center panel the exact measurement that you want it with 1/2 inch seam allowances on seams where you will match patterns.  
  • Press your seam allowance under exactly 1/2 inch. Apply Steam-A-Seam Light to the right side of your seam allowance.  Steam-A-Seam is a fusible web that comes on a roll (mine was 1/2 inch wide).  It is tacky so that you can apply it and it will temporarily stick and then you press it for a permanent bond.
The center panel is on top with the seam allowance pressed back 1/2 inch.  See the Steam-A-Seam?
  • Next you lay the center panel on top of the fabric panel you are trying to match and match the patterns exactly.  The Steam-A-Seam is tacky so it will stick together, but not enough to carry it to the ironing board, so I also pinned to make sure things would not shift.

See how easy it is to line up!
  • Take it to the ironing board and press it down to fuse.  
  • Then trim the matching fabric's seam allowance to 1/2 inch to match your main panel.

Trim the seam to 1/2 inch to match the main fabric panel
  • Now take it to the sewing machine and use the crease on your main panel and the 1/2 seam guide to sew a perfectly matching seam!



4.  Finally, Home-dec sewing really isn't so bad!  The thinking about all that math and fabric all over is much worse than the actual process. 
 
After all is said and done, a few hours work and a perfect finishing touch for the bathroom! Now I need to stop thinking about the roman blinds I've been thinking about for like the past 6 years and just do it!


2 comments: