Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Periwinkle Ruffled Scarf

Although I haven't been posting much sewing, I have been sewing over the past few weeks.  So many of the things I have made were hush-hush until after Christmas. 

 Pinterest is one of  my latest sources of inspiration and that is where I found this little gem from Mama Says Sew, I knew it would be perfect for a gift for my girls!

Donna the Dress Form sporting the Flower Ruffled Scarf
It seemed like it would be a simple thing to whip up - being knit and all.  While it wasn't hard, it was time consuming.  

There is a full tutorial at the site above, but here were the basic steps:

1.  Cut 2 rectangles to whatever size you want the finished scarf to be.  (If you want all the edges to have a lettuce finish choose a 4-way stretch knit - I didn't think about that until it was too late so mine have straight edges- which doesn't really bother me.)

2.  Cut 2 different sizes of circles.  My were about 2 1/2 and 3 inches in diameter.
  
3.  Sew a loose running stitch around the center of the circle and pull tight to form the flower.  Knot the end.








This side is the back of the flower.
4.  Arrange the flowers onto the scarf in a random-ish pattern and stitch them down. Tack the edges of the flowers so that they don't flop too much - unless you want them to be floppy!  





5.  Stitch a bead or two to the center of each flower as an accent.
6.Line up the 2 scarf pieces wrong sides together and stitch (a zigzag/overlock) or serge (I used a rolled hem on the serger with the differential feed set to stretch) stretching the fabric to form a wavy lettuce edge.  

Here is the finished product on my best fashionista model:
Cute, yes?  
More Christmas surprises revealed next time!

I'm hoping that you had a wonderful Christmas season full of family, friends and love and wishing you all the best in the New Year!
Love, Pam




No comments:

Post a Comment