And now... How about these pizzas that we made tonight with ingredients from our garden and the farmer's market.
We have purchased these delicious focaccia at the farmer's market before, but have never grilled them.
Pair with a combo of homegrown and farmer's market tomatoes, some grilled japanese eggplant from they garden and some delicious cheese from whole foods and you get an amazing veggie dinner!
|A plate of veggie deliciousness!|
Here is the rough recipe for the 2 types of "pizza" that we created tonight. Feel free to experiment with your own combinations.
Roasted Veggie Focaccia
1-2 Japanese eggplants, sliced in 1/4 inch slices and brushed with fat-free Italian dressing
8-9 small roma tomatoes
5 red onions cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 red pepper cut into large wedges
1 12 inch focaccia
3-4 Tbsp feta, olive salad (We bought ours at Whole Foods)
(I also threw on some broccoli that we had left over.)
1. Brush eggplant slices with the Italian dressing. Brush the onion slices, peppers, and tomatoes with olive oil.
2. Place in a single layer on a grill pan and grill over medium high heat for about 5 minutes, turning once. Keep a close eye on veggies so they don't over cook.
3. Layer veggies on the focaccia rounds with roasted veggies and top with cheese
4. Grill on a medium-hot grill until just warm. Watch this very closely. You do not want the bottom of the bread to burn.
2 large heirloom tomatoes
1 large ball of fresh mozzarella packed in water (Buffalo mozzarella would be even better if you can find/afford it!)
1. Slice the tomatoes and layer onto the focaccia covering the entire top.
2. Add the fresh mozzarella
3. Top with basil, some kosher salt and pepper
4. Grill as above
What are your favorites to feast on during my favorite summer season? Leave a comment and let me know so that I can try that too! Have I mentioned that I Love Summer?! :-)