Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Summer to the Maxi Dress

Finally, time for a summer sewing project!  It was one of those "drop-everything-and-concentrate-only-on-this" projects that I truly love.

My younger daughter came home for one of her whirlwind visits - just 2 nights!- so I figured I better get going on the maxi dress that she had requested while I had her physically here for a few fittings.

We found a cute black and white ITY knit at Joanne's on sale. The pattern we picked out was version B of this pattern:

I had not worked with an ITY knit before, but was very happy about how easy it was to work with.  It was a bit slippery and the edges tended to roll if I was not careful, but overall it was a nice fabric to work with.  Since I am still working on fitting adult bodies, I did make a muslin of the bodice.  Boy was I glad I did!  I ended up making a whole size smaller than the pattern envelope measurements indicated.  Other than that, I didn't have to make many adjustments.  The pattern directions were easy to follow and all the pieces fit together perfectly! went together in a day - a long day, but still one day.

Overall, I think mother and daughter were both happy about how this project turned out - even at 1:30 am when we put the final touches on the double needle hem so that she could take it back to school with her today.    :-)


  1. This is stunning!! Great Job Mama!! Carolyn looks awesome!! Happy Summer indeed!

  2. Thanks! It was a fun dress to make! Didn't hurt to have such an easy-to-fit model! :-)